Deleting rather than Suspending/Removing User Accounts

Deleting rather than Suspending/Removing User Accounts

I don't see a method to delete an account, only Suspend and Remove which blocks the user from signing up again with the same email address used previously.

There may be times when we want to Delete a dormant account rather Suspend/Remove so that the user my sign up again with their previously used email account. 

Ideally we'd like to Delete but leave their posts online.

9 replies

null
    • Forumbee
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Craig, 

Suspending a user prevents the user from logging in, but keeps their posts and profile in the community.

Removing a user prevents the user from logging in, and also removes their posts and profile.

Can you share more about your use case? What do you mean by dormant account? What are the reasons for wanting to delete the user, but still allow the user to sign up again? 

Thanks for your input! 

• CraigS
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Sometimes accounts are abandoned (stops being used) so deleting would declutter. 

Some businesses whose emails are department specific may want the email deleted so they can recommission it at a later date.

Users may change ISPs and want old accounts deleted to prevent anyone else from gaining access. This brings up a related issue as there doesn't seem to be an easy way for a user to request an account be unsuspended to the admin.

• CraigS
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Trying another explanation to see if it clarifies the problem.

Company A employee leaves and company asks that we suspend that account access. Some months later there's a new hire and they are given that email to log in. They can't log in and they have no way to request that we un-suspend that account through the forum. At best they are forced to create another account with another email address to communicate.

A person has email addresses with multiple ISPs. They decide to move from one address to another and ask us to suspend one account as they are now using another. Some time later they have a personal reason to move back to the original account. They attempt to use the original account and find they can't log in . They have no way to request we un-suspend from that original account. 

In both cases had we been able to delete the email address rather than suspended the accounts they would have been able to simply create a log in using their intended email addresses.

An alternate solution might be the ability to send an email or other type of message to the admin from within the forum (a link at the failed attempt to login) requesting to un-suspend a specific email address and include a space where they can type in an explanation why they need that done (just in case there was a punitive reason for the suspension).

Ultimately, once an email address is suspended, there's no way I can see that the user can request the account be un-suspended through the forum system. 

Basically we either need a user request to un-suspend or another way to free up the suspended email address so it can be used again.

• Forumbee
    • 7 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi Craig, thanks for the additional scenarios. There are a couple of features that may be helpful.

Company A employee leaves and company asks that we suspend that account access. Some months later there's a new hire and they are given that email to log in. They can't log in and they have no way to request that we un-suspend that account through the forum. 

If the employee has inherited the email address, they will be able to gain access to the account by clicking "forget password" to reset their password. 

A person has email addresses with multiple ISPs. They decide to move from one address to another and ask us to suspend one account as they are now using another. 

A user can add an additional email address(es) to their account by going to Edit Profile > Account > "Add another email".  So if someone is moving to a new ISP, they can add the new email in this way. They can log in with any of their verified email addresses, and can select the new email as their primary email address to send email notifications. 

Note that any email address which is not the user's primary email address can be deleted by the user, which frees up the email address to be used again for another account.

Ultimately, once an email address is suspended, there's no way I can see that the user can request the account be un-suspended through the forum system. 

Yes, currently there is no way for a user to request to be unsuspended through the system. This could lead to a lot of noise for the moderator from spam accounts, so it would need careful consideration. 

• Cindy_Stinson
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

We too need a method to delete an account. We have people join our group, want to be a group leader but then decide to leave because it's more work than they thought, or they get removed (fired) for various reasons. There is no future need to have them be able to come back in. Ever. Not being able to fully remove them keeps others still trying to connect with them. 

• Forumbee
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Cindy Stinson Hi 👋 and thanks for your post!

Good news -- we have recently released the Delete User feature! To delete a user, go to Admin > Users and locate the user. Click to expand their details, then expand Data Privacy.

You will see two options:

• Delete user and anonymize posts: Use this option if you want permanently delete the user, but keep their posts in the community. Their posts will be anonymized, meaning their name is removed and their profile picture is deleted. Only the text of their posts remain.
      • Delete user and delete posts: Use this option if you want permanently delete the user, AND delete all of their posts. 

Keep in mind that deleting a user is permanent, and there is no undo.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

• Carola_Ahlsson
    • 5 yrs ago
    • Reported - view

Hi! When I deleted some accounts, I got some new accounts that seem to be automatically created. One of them has a post, the others don't (see attachment). I suppose it is ok to delete the accounts without posts?

• Forumbee
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Hi Carola , a new user account is created when a user is deleted using the Delete user and anonymize posts option. The new user is the fully anonymized version of the deleted user. If that user had posts, those posts are moved to the anonymous user.

I suppose it is ok to delete the accounts without posts?

Yes, that is totally OK to do. In that case, use the option Delete user and delete posts.

• Carola_Ahlsson
      • 5 yrs ago
      • Reported - view

Forumbee Support Great, thankyou!

Content aside

• Status Answered
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 yrs agoLast active
  • 9Replies
  • 1604Views
  • 4 Following